How I got into Skincare

Do you guys remember how you got into skincare? Because I do.

I first started getting interested in skincare because of my Dad. I remember I was pretty young then, around 8 or 9 years old? And nope I did not start applying skincare products at that age hahaha. It was just that my Dad was sooooo interested in skincare and he had LOTS of skincare products, ranging from masks to serums, from moisturisers to mists and even SK-II! I think it's also partially because he had a lot of friends who are gay, and hence they kind of influenced him and tadahhh that's probably how he started getting interested in skincare. My Mum in the past, however, wasn't interested in skincare AT ALL. Even when my Dad bought her some skincare products she never bothered to use them. But I would say it's a totally different story now hahaha. She goes for facials and uses products given by her dermatologist. I'm actually really happy that she started to take care of herself :)

Anyway, as I was saying, the spark in me first got ignited by my Dad, as I was curious as to how these products could make a difference to your skin. Magic? Miracle? As a kid, I didn't know. My Dad would mask regularly, and put on his skincare products religiously everyday. I remember there was once when I was around 9 or 10 years old, I made warm honey water and applied it to my face, thinking that it would make my skin better, which of course it would because it's honey, but at that time I didn't know anything about skincare at all and I have no idea how I even thought of applying honey water to my face. Born a skincare genius, I suppose? :P At that point, even though a certain spark in me was ignited, other than that one honey water experiment, I didn't really care about skincare until I turned 14.

I remember when I was 14, I had really bad acne on my forehead and chin area. I started having acne since I was 13, but it was only when I turned 14 that my acne got really, really bad. It was then that my Mum and I discovered (lol) The Face Shop, and we got some products recommended by the Beauty Advisor. I think it was the older version of the Clean Face line if I didn't remember it wrongly. The packaging used to be green but I think they reformulated it (not really sure) and they've also repackaged it to a brown packaging. Either way, that helped my skin. I vaguely remember using this Clean & Clear set which comes with a cleanser, toner, moisturiser and pimple cream and that was a life saver as well. I also remember trying out a few more products from The Face Shop and some other products I bought when I was in Korea as well, one of which Taeyeon from SNSD used to endorse.

But alas, the acne was gone, but the horrible scars remain. I googled up on how to remove the scars and I started using lemon juice and honey as a mask, along with exfoliating regularly. The scars slowly faded away as I turned 16 and it was finally gone! But now I have new scars from hormonal acne (-_-) which is clearing up a little faster as I'm now 18 and have found some ways and products that helps me to clear my acne. I'm constantly on the look out for home remedies and trying out new products that helps my skin. Right now I'm on the look out for products that helps to refine my skin texture and minimise the size of my pores. Which brings me to the point that I'll be flying off to Seoul this coming Sunday and I'll be bringing back lotsa stuff /inserts moonface/

Do you guys remember how and when you got into skincare? :)

P.S. I'll try to get a post up about my current skincare routine before I fly off on Sunday! :-) If I can't I'll type out a post on the plane and post up when I arrive in Seoul!

No comments